Hypertension or high blood pressure is one of the most common health conditions. It is a long-term medical condition that is caused by the high force of blood against artery walls. Hypertension is also responsible for various health diseases such as heart disease, heart attack, vision loss, chronic kidney disease and even stroke.
Hypertension is considered a pre-existing condition for health insurance coverage but many people don’t realize that and if they have any issues with hypertension during their trip to USA, they will put themselves in a very hard situation. Read more about hypertension symptoms and how to prevent it here. Also learn about Visitor Cashless Health Insurance Plans offering by India Network Services.
Usually high blood pressure shows no symptoms. Most of the people affected with Hypertension have no idea about the ailment till it takes serious toll on the body. Due to absence of symptoms, it is also known as the ‘silent killer’. The symptoms include the following:
1. Some rare symptoms include frequent headaches, nose bleeding and short breath.
2. In severe cases, hypertension may lead to vision loss, kidney failure, erectile dysfunction and loss of memory.
3. Blood spots in eyes is also an uncommon symptom in people with high blood pressure or diabetes.
4. Dizziness is one of the side effects of high blood pressure medication. But dizziness is not caused by high blood pressure. However sudden dizziness, loss of balance and problem in walking can be warning signs of stroke. High blood pressure is a leading risk factor for stroke.
5. Many people do not seek care until the condition is very severe. This condition is known as malignant hypertension. In malignant hypertension, the diastolic blood pressure (lower number) increases up to 140 mm Hg.
6. Hypertension may lead to peripheral arterial disease which causes leg pain while walking. Peripheral arterial disease is a condition in which plaque builds up in arteries and affects the blood flow in lungs due to which symptoms like numbness, aching or heaviness of legs may occur.
7. Hypertension that occurs during pregnancy can be due to several reasons including being over 40 years of age, IVF or other pregnancy related issues, being overweight, inactive, having more than one baby (twins or more) in the womb, smoking and alcohol.
8. If hypertension continues to be there after 20 weeks of pregnancy then problems like preeclampsia may arise. High blood pressure may lead to a premature birth of the baby and may require caesarian delivery.
1. Monitoring: Due to absence of symptoms in majority of cases, high blood pressure often goes unnoticed. It is critical to monitor blood pressure at regular intervals. The sooner it is caught, the easier it becomes to control it.
2. Salt: Doctors will ask you to cut down salt in your diet. Salt contains sodium which is directly proportional to blood pressure. The richer the diet in sodium, the higher the blood pressure.
3. Diet: A balanced diet can help you prevent a plethora of diseases, the same is true for Hypertension. A diet rich in potassium helps maintain blood pressure levels whereas a diet rich in fats, carbohydrates may trigger high blood pressure.
4. Exercise: A minimum 30 minutes of workout is mandatory for people with high blood pressure. However, they should consult their doctor before starting any workout regime.
5. Quit smoking and alcohol: Moderate consumption of alcohol may not affect blood pressure levels but smoking is directly linked to high blood pressure. Do consult a good doctor if you have any concerns regarding alcohol intake.
6. Maintaining a healthy weight: Weight plays an important role when it comes to hypertension. If you are obese then there are more chances of you being affected by hypertension. Obesity is the result of intake of more calories and no physical activity. So, to maintain a normal blood pressure, one should try to lose weight as doing so will help a lot.
7. Reducing stress: Stress can lead to high blood pressure and if not taken care of, it can cause a permanent problem of high blood pressure. There are many ways in which stress can be reduced, including, yoga, meditation and by being optimistic towards life.
8. Some nutrients can also help: Eating foods rich in calcium, potassium and magnesium can help in lowering blood pressure. Fish oils and garlic can also help.
Please read more here.
Remember if you have any pre-existing condition and don’t have Visitor Health Insurance with pre-existing coverage, insurance companies won’t pay your medical bills. Learn more about visitor pre-existing coverage here before your trip.
About India Network Health Insurance
India Network Services is a US-based company that administers visitor health insurance to tourists, students, temporary workers and their families. Visitor medical insurance plans are offered for all age groups with both fixed coverage, comprehensive coverage and with or without pre-existing condition coverages.